Prepar3D v4.1 is available now!
The Prepar3D team is excited to release the first update to v4! We have been hard at work building upon the major changes made in version 4 to continue making Prepar3D the most feature-rich, stable, and performant training platform available. This release includes numerous enhancements, new features, and bug fixes based on user and developer feedback.
Virtual Reality (VR) is now available in any view and includes an interactive mouse pointer enabling cockpit interaction. Aircraft interiors are brought to life with support for 4k textures and cockpit rain effects. Many updates were made to further improve stability, add-on compatibility, and performance in this release.
The development pipeline and toolset has been updated to further optimize complex models. New features to the Prepar3D Development Kit (PDK) include built-in support for cockpit rain and snow visual effects, support for 3D window positioning, advanced samples for Helmet Mounted Displays (HMDs) and targeting pods, and stability improvements and bug fixes throughout the content creation process. Prepar3D is focused on giving developers the tools they need to be more efficient and create the highest quality products available.
The Prepar3D v4.1 update is available now and can be downloaded from the Downloads page. If you currently own a valid Prepar3D v4 license there is no charge to update to Prepar3D v4.1. To purchase Prepar3D v4, please visit our online Store.
Prepar3D offers separate updates for the Client, Content, and Scenery. This will make updating faster and easier than ever before. Please be sure to read the Prepar3D v4 Download and Installation Instructions for more details on how to quickly update to the v4.1 release. It is strongly recommended to only download and install the Client as there are only minor updates to content and scenery for this release. Please refer to the What’s New below to see if these fixes are required for your training needs.
You can find a full list of What’s New below.
The Prepar3D v4.1 release brings many exciting changes and enhancements to the platform.
The following list of updates has been categorized based on the installer required.
The Client installer is required for Prepar3D v4.1, however the Content, Scenery, and SDK installers are optional. You must first have Prepar3D v4 installed to utilize the Client only installer. To install the Prepar3D v4.1 Client, you must first uninstall the Prepar3D v4.0 Client via Programs and Features in Windows Control Panel. The Prepar3D v4.1 Client update will require you to reactivate your product, however if you have an internet connection it will be automatic.
General Platform Updates
- Virtual Reality (VR) is now available in any view and has its own dedicated menu
- Added interactive mouse pointer in VR
- Added support for 4k Virtual Cockpit (VC) textures
- Custom icons can be placed and rendered in the world. Their location can also be viewed in the 2D map.
- Health points for the ownship are now displayed in InfoGen text
- Added “HideMouseLookCrosshair” config option to disable the cross icon when using mouse look
- Notification text can now be added using the “CustomNoticeText” config option
- Added support for cockpit rain effects. Added effect to default vehicles (requires Content installer)
New Features (Professional Plus Only)
- High-Level Architecture (HLA) network interface is implemented (experimental – work in progress)
Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed an issue where turn rate was incorrect for large ships
- Fixed an issue that prevented legacy Prepar3D v1 SimConnect apps from properly connecting
- Fixed various z-ordering issues with primitive objects
- Fixed issue with SimConnect port values being written incorrectly to the registry
- Fixed intermittent issue with autopilot glide slope
- Barometric pressure units now display correctly in the Custom Weather screen
- Added scenario favorites button back to the Load Scenario screen
- Updated select camera control descriptions to be more consistent
- Fixed issue where weather data for animated scenery objects was invalid after a vehicle change
- Fixed rotation issues with certain lights and effects
- Fixed crash that could occur when calling the FlightPlanDeleteWaypoint function within a gauge
- Updated the default Max VC Texture Size config entry to 4096
- Fixed bug where user vehicle would still move to new location after hitting cancel from the Scenario Edit screen
- Fixed shader support for pre-lit materials without textures
- Fixed crash that could occur when zooming the GPS map
- Duplicated panels are now saved into scenario .fxml files
- Fixed crash that could occur when attempting to change airports at certain locations
- Fixed crash that could occur when reading in invalid autogen data
- Panels with pixel_size value set in config now correctly save their position in fxml files
- Fixed bug where changing the time in small increments in the Startup Screen did not update the simulation
- Fixed bug where quickly hitting enter after typing an entry in the Airport Select screen would not change the user’s location
- Fixed bug where structured scenarios would load incorrectly at the startup screen when set to default
- Fixed bug where unlimited frame rate value was written out differently in saved profiles compared to Prepar3d.cfg settings
- The ATC window now longer processes key commands when key modifiers (Shift, Ctrl, Alt) are held down
- The ATC window now processes key commands when undocked and not focused
- Updated Learning Center file encodings to support Unicode characters
- Autogen polyline buildings now respect the autogen building density slider value
- Fixed issue that prevented light rotation key commands from controlling attached landing lights
- Fixed issue that prevented HDR lighting values from syncing correctly in VR
- Fixed several cases where attached effect rotation values would not update correctly
- Previous camera settings are now restored correctly when leaving VR
- Fixed edge cases where full screen would not black out the main view at the Startup Screen
- Fixed issue preventing full screen resolution from being set correctly in the Startup Screen
- Fixed issue that prevented vehicles from positioning correctly on platforms when loading a scenario
- Updated VR social screen to show both stereo and single views
- Fixed erroneous ordering error that would display when opening Scenery Library with certain add-on sceneries installed
- VR can be disabled with the “LoadVirtualReality” Prepar3D.cfg option
- “Reload User Object” key command now additionally flushes and reloads textures
- Fixed issue that would cause ribbon visual paths to stop drawing after a short period of time
- SpeedTree models now draw correctly in Radar and GData sensor modes
- Fixed view change issues when using the view change hot key in a view group
- VR can be enabled at startup with the “EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup” Prepar3D.cfg option
- Improved detection of VR headsets with more robust error reporting
- Fixed crash that could occur after installing a large number of scenery add-ons
Fixes and Improvements (Professional Plus Only)
- Fixed bug where weapon loadouts would load incorrectly after a reset if the loadout title contained a comma
- Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS) heartbeat now more configurable
- Attached DIS entities now correctly handled
- Added radio frequency support and direct voice chat through multiplayer Chat Window
Fixes and Improvements
- Improved panel state management when entering multiplayer
- Scaleform Objects can now be placed and rendered within the VC
- The starting waypoint can now be set for AI Objects
Fixes and Improvements
- Gizmo buttons now toggle based on gizmo state
- Fixed slow down when entering the visualization
- BGL can now be exported again through SimDirector
- Fixed bug where translation gizmo would not be selectable if partially off screen
- Fixed crash that could occur when clicking panels while recording a Virtual Instructor (VI) session
- The position of copied objects is now slightly offset from the original
- Camera Objects can now be referenced by View Change Actions
- Fixed issue that prevented object rotation values from exporting to BGL
- Fixed issue where the xml file name would be truncated after the first period when clicking “Save as”
- Camera name validation errors now link to the correct property
- Fixed bug where navigation visuals would stay enabled in SimDirector if changed in core Prepar3D
- Fixed issue preventing RPN scripts from working correctly with Script Triggers
- Added rain effect to cockpit glass in default vehicles
- F-16A and F-16AM now feature a Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) reticle, which can also be viewed in VR
Fixes and Improvements
- Added configurable max_turn_rate for boat SimObjects
- Updated default scenario flt files to support Unicode characters
- Fixed flashing that would occur with the Fury 1500 when in Black Hot IR mode
- Fixed missing cockpit textures in the F-16
- Removed incompatible AI models
Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed missing textures in St. Louis Adams Mark
- Removed invisible objects that could cause vehicle to crash at KBWI
- Weather PDK now supports all functions available in SimConnect
- Added CustomIcons sample showcasing new custom icon capabilities
- Added additional Window PDK functions supporting 3D window positioning
- Added PDK Menu service
Fixes and Improvements
- Updated various documentation including Panel API, user selectable vehicles, texture types, and add-on scenery
- Expanded IsSelectableVehicle support for use in fltsim cfg sections
- Fixed issue where Weather METAR functions in SimConnect and PDK would return different formats
- Fixed issue where the bounding box and radius override values were not being written out correctly by the 3dsMax exporter
- Fixed issue that prevented Optimize Parts from working with complex vehicle models
- Updated targeting pod sample showing controllable camera functionality
- Removed Learning Management System (LMS) SDK sample and associated documentation
- Added Managed Scenario Controller SDK sample. This can be used with LMS integration among other applications.
- Fixed SimConnect_Text issue with displaying extended ASCII characters
- Fixed issue with 3dsMax plugins not exporting OverrideRadius and OverrideBoundingBox values
- Added key event token and event id lookup functions to PDK
- Fixed crash and added warning message when attempting to create VC textures with filenames greater than 16 characters
- Fixed crash in managed SimConnect applications on shut down. These applications will need to be recompiled for this change to take effect.
- Fixed several issues with the EnvironmentForceManager
The Lockheed Martin Prepar3D team loves hearing about your experiences with Prepar3D at our Forums. The forums also give us an opportunity to listen to your feedback as we continue Prepar3D development. We’ve partnered with our forum users and with several featured developers to continue to bring added features, enhancements, and optimizations all while enabling additional backwards compatibility, making bug fixes, and improving stability.
Thank you for your continued support for Prepar3D.
We hope you find that Prepar3D v4.1 continues to be the most immersive learning, simulation, and training platform available.